Sunday, July 3, 2011

Behind the Scenes: Exclusive Peek at a Jewelry Workspace

When one imagines a craftsman’s (or craftswoman in my case) work place, I’m sure they think of a sunny spacious room, with soothing music in the background to create a comfortable work environment.  Shelves of craft supplies line the walls with a large work bench in the middle of the room, ready to create dozens of masterpieces.

Sounds great huh?  Well, this lovely image is the complete opposite of my current jewelry workspace.  With the constant blaring of my neighbor’s rap music and their shouts in addition to a beat up coffee table, the uniqueness and personality of my little “studio” cannot be denied.

In all seriousness, I really do like my current workspace, humble in nature as it might be.  I wanted to give a brief “behind the scenes” look at it for this blog.

Here’s a wide shot of it:



I usually sit over here to work on a piece of jewelry.  As you can see I have my pliers at the ready, with my current project laid out on the bead board:


This stand is actually a bamboo serving tray that my mom didn’t want.  I use it to store various supplies, including Swarovski crystals, tools, a steel block for hammering wire and of course my little hedgehog friend. 


Finally, here’s a bookshelf, where I store jewelry catalogs, books, my small business information, patterns, and sketches of my jewelry pieces.



Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Coming up: the painful process of capturing jewelry on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment